Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Bees and Bunnies

Walking through Cape May Point State Park one afternoon, a young naive bunny was resting in the shade, at one of my favorite spots, under an old cedar tree.


 I got closer and closer and he didn't budge. 


 Having enough of me, he dashed off into the bushes. 


Just beyond, making homes in the hard packed sandy soil, the Rose Mallow bees were hard at work again. (See blog entry from August 17, 2016). 


This time I noticed, that the bees actually carry water to help loosen the soil, so they can dig holes. 


I also saw a large bearded insect positioned between the holes 



and I wondered if it was a predator, and sure enough, he zoomed and zagged trying to grab the bees as they worked, provisioning their nests.

Here is the result of Rose Mallow Bees' hard work -

thousands and thousands of beautiful rose mallows for as far as the eye can see.



No comments:

Post a Comment